Saturday, August 12, 2006

Why aren't there any great Japanese thinkers?

I was talking with my host parents last night, and I don't really remember why, but we started talking about famous people. Then it occured to me that there aren't great thinkers in the history of this country.
Task for my readers: go back 200 years in Japanese history, and try to find a great thinker.
They haven't really had a civil war in over 1000 years, and even during the Seinan Sensou (Satsuma Rebellion) all that emerger were fighters. No really thinkers.

I think I will email Mr. Curry and see what he thinks.

Peter

3 Comments:

At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The political scientist Fuyukama, or for the author Kawabata, or Kurosawa.

 
At 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

12 Japanese have won the Nobel Prize, in all fields: chem, physics, peace, medicine and literature. Not too shabby. And as they are not Europeans, where the prizes are awarded, that's extra good.

 
At 3:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the political scientist is Francis Fukuyama, but he's American born and educated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home