Thursday, October 05, 2006

A Double Whammy!

Or actually, like a quadruple, but thats even better!
Discussing a book with my mom (the same one that almost got me kicked out), and we came across a metaphor. I discussed this metaphor with my host mother (I hate calling her my mother, because she simply isn't) in Japanese. The metaphor had to do with a river. The river is a metaphor for a culture. My host family is in the river, and I am trying to come in, but am still outside of it. I then used physics to explain the next part! In Japanese! Because the things we are seeing are in the water, and my family and my surroundings are in the water as well, I see things differently, because I am outside of the water! I am outside of the culture, while my surroundings are in the water/culture.

And to top it all off, it has given me a way to start my third and final paper for Halpern!

Peter

1 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frickin' brilliant. Or, for those of you who think that I short-change the language: Most excellent, young Peter! Soon you will be able to catch flies out of the air with chopsticks. This of course makes no sense if you never saw "Kung-Fu" with David Carridine. And you're way too young to have seen it. Oh, and your family has no TV. Apologies. But I think you're awesome for having made such a leap of cognition, AND explained it in Japanese! Sheesh. I'm proud to know you!

May you succeed in wowing the cute chick as well,

N

 

Post a Comment

<< Home