Thursday, July 13, 2006

Uji

I chilled in Uji today, because I didnt feel like going very far. Also very nice because I dont think I saw anyother foreigners. Since I didnt have to ride the train, I got to sleep in a little because most of the places open about 8:30 or so. I went to Byodoin, which is a Unesco world heritage site, and I complete see why. Absolutely gorgeous, took bunchs of pictures, and payed the extra couple bucks to get to go into the main hall, which is about 1000 years old, so that I could see the Amida Nyorai there, even if was partially underconstruction (see the previous post). I then walked around that area, which is right along the Uji river, and thus very pretty. I rode across the river and too a couple smaller temples but still very pretty. I rode my 50 pound mamachari (short for mothers chariot, with baskets and step through design, and less than 2:1 gearing) to the top of a very big hill where there was a gorgeous temple. down was pretty fun too. went to Uji Gamijinjya, which is another world heritage site, and home of one of the very few "7 wells of Uji" Uji is very famous for its tea, and this spring is one of the sites where water for the tea was gotten. some emperor along time ago had alot of tea grown in that area, so the tea is very famous, and tasty too. Then I went to the Genji Monogatari museum, which was 100 percent in Japanese, so I understood less than usually. I keep getting completements on my Japanese at all of the places where I buy tickets in Japanese. I then went to a little tea museum, which was more than 100 percent in Japanese, but the pictures were nice! then it was too hot, so I went home. I read for a while, chatted with my sister who had a halfday, and then took a nap. I woke up about 20 minutes ago!

insert whatever you want to hear here

Peter

5 Comments:

At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wait...whatever happened to the japanese girl? hm...maybe i missed something

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Peter said...

which japanese girl?  and good to here from you, its been a while. hows portland and summer treating my old communist?

peter

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Peter said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the one that you liked??/....but wait...i guess you liked quite a few right? haha....good to hear from you good ol nazi.
um, portland's allright, not as scorching hot as Japan i presume?
oh, summer's flying so fast, its incredible..no....horrible.
ah, bloodtypes..
yes, when i first came to the states, it always amazed me that some americans either didn't know what it was or what bloodtype they were. Contrastingly, in most places in asia, one's bloodtype is something that is regarded as common knowledge?....like your star sign or your birthdate.
anyways, hopefully that helped. keep in touch pal

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Peter said...

well jiying, I had to break it to you, but I dont even know what a star sign is. and in the 7th grade I forgot my birthday becasue nobody was honme to wish me a happy birthday. getting no presents is sad.

peter

 

Post a Comment

<< Home