Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I am cold.

I rode to my school today. It was fun. I got up, ate some, and got on my bike. I really had no idea where I was going, on a vague idea of streets. 33 kilometers later I rolled up to my school gate. It takes about exactly the same time to ride there as it does to walk and take the train. About the time I got there, it started to rain. No biggie, Im from Portland. Riding back, I decided to take a different route to see if it was shorter. Well, Japanese streets dont really have street signs, so I got crazy lost. The return trip was over 10 kilometers longer than the coming one, and took a lot longer. By the time I got home, I was absolutely freezing. I took a nice warm shower and put all my warmest clothes. Riding home, not thinking I would be out that long, I bonked. I get home, shower, and eat. I had some generic chocolate corn flakes, some fried shrimp (a couple days old, the japanese dont throw food away), and a big bowl of last nights nabe. Now, if I were to translate that straight to english, I would say that I had a bowl of pot, but that is not true, as Marijuana is highly illegal in japan, and I dont smoke. Nabe is the japanese word for pot, but it is also the stuff that you put in the pot, so it is a soup that has whatever you want to put in it. It was good, but I am still really hungry. My eating habits have super changed since I got here, it is really weird.

oh well

Peter

2 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

generic chocolate corn flakes? old fried shrimp? pot? no wonder you're still hungry. have you any idea if your ride could be shortened? and how is riding in Tokyo? crazy traffic, or good (i.e. polite, road sharing) drivers, or lots of trucks or ...? lemme know about my email, too. love, da

 
At 12:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peter,
Does this mean you will be biking to school every morning? Mr. Halpern read your blog and said he thought that it's ridiculous that you would be blogging, what with all the things to do and all the free time to do them in. I told him that you really do have a lot of free time, but in the interest of you getting out there and absorbing "the real Japan" I won't talk to long or give you too much of an update so much as to say Austin and Neal are Pres and Vip. Here's to many more Bo-peep adventures.
-Dash

 

Post a Comment

<< Home