Sunday, January 21, 2007

Japanese University.

Yesterday was the first day of the really big university entrance exams in Japan. I was talking to my host dad about Japanese daigaku (大学 big and learn, university) and the talk was ridiculous. The way he described it was like 'well, if you can manage to get in, you deserve to graduate. You don't go to university to learn, you go to get the diploma.' I hate all the people in the states who do things just make their college applications look better. But here, you have virtually an entire country who tries to make the applications for after college look good. He was like 'well, of course you have to do some work, but...'. I wanted to ask some questions about it because there are obviously things I don't understand and he didn't do a great job of explaining it, but, I am too stressed out and wound up that I would have ended up yelling at him about the stupidity of that system and then everyone would say that I am completely unable to accept foreign cultures, which I have been told by my exchange program, school people, and host family. The fact that no one understands how much pressure they are putting on me absolutely infuriates me, and causes me to go crazy.

If there was one thing that I could everyone to understand, it would be that its not all my fault. But of course, since it's their country, they automatically think they are right.

I'm so fucked in the head.

2 Comments:

At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Peter,

I'm sorry to hear that your stress level is so high. Less salt, more exercise, avoid confrontation.

Take lots of pictures this week of your school, your classmates, your teachers, yes, even your host family. You may not want to remember them all right NOW, but at some point in the future, you may wish to have those pictures.

Lots of love,

Mom

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh peter.
I wish I could talk to you in person or on the phone somehow, I completely understand what you're going through even if you don't think I could possibly understand...etc
You can't change them, they can't change you....atleast not completely

 

Post a Comment

<< Home