Friday, February 15, 2008

Soryu

http://so-ryu.com/
Takeda Soryu is my main calligraphy teacher. He is the teacher who helped me get my visa, but might not be my best teacher. Well, I don't actually know how to tell if one is a good calligraphy teacher, but I feel I am writing better in another class. He is probably the best calligrapher among my teachers, and is by the far the most famous. He is also 24.

Anyway, yesterday (Wednesday) he invited me and two other students on a drive! 4 guys, aged 24, 23, 23, and 18, drove around Tokyo in Soryu-Sensei's brand new car looking for an exhibition space to hold a calligraphy exhibit.

That was pretty fun. We spent over an hour playing in the Conran Shop in Shinjuku, which is probably the most fun I will EVER have window shopping. I found this really really nice looking bag, that I really want, but its like 300 bucks, so not really in my budget at the moment. I bought some pants today, they are much needed.

On the drive home, Soryu pulls the car over, hands me his wallet, and says "You are the youngest, so go get us something to drink."

That was really fun.

I wish I had money.

1 Comments:

At 1:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter,

That is a very funny story. Glad you weren't asked to drive.

I would love to see your calligraphy in an exhibition space here in Denver. How many pieces would you need I wonder?

love, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home